Goats,slaughter,and a confused me


Analogous to how most of us make new year resolutions,we also make festival plans.This is high time we all Nepalese
get to feel the intensity and depth of Nepalese culture.The best time of the year as we may say it.
Everyone has a different way of celebrating Dashain.For many its a festival for getting together,a gathering
which hardly takes place at any other part of the calendar.We all love to
be at home,with our family and feel like we have been together all way long,even if we may have been separated in
course of time.For some its a festival that offers feast,a culinary
extravaganza where one can have best of their choices in their diet.Many rejoice in drinks,many swing around,many
flow their money in cards,while the rest may be simply too busy flying kites(as long as the winds are blowing and its not
raining :D).To sum up.,dashain is simply awesome,exhilarating and an immensely incredible experience.
Having said all these,there's still something that keeps me bothering and rethinking about how good dashain is.
My mind repeatedly keeps me webbed in this dilemma.I may have been deeply infected by the event which occurred few
years ago.I was at a Devi's temple with my mom.The day was Asthami/Nawami i am not quite sure.The whole temple was
getting ready for series of "holy sacrifices". Goats,hens,buffaloes,and ducks all queued up for their decapitation.
I was first excited about the process but immediately i saw a goat shivering desperately.Well,may be those animals
lacked the level of intelligence we humans possess,but still they know the difference between life and death.It was
clearly visible in that goat's acts.When the decapitator pulled the rope that gripped that goat's neck,it tried to
make its feet immobile.I was still watching the desperation it showed.Poor goat,everything in vain.It was slayed.Its
vein burst and oozing blood spilled on the floor.The decapitator obviously seemed cool.All he was thinking was about
the next beast in the queue.I am sure no one was watching it as i was.May be some other day
even i wouldn't have cared at all.But this day i was just deeply scrutinizing the loss of lives through different eyes
of mine.I didn't feel good at all when my mom bought some meat from a nearby shop on our return to home.I had been
deeply affected by what i saw.The way that goat struggled throughout the last few seconds of its life shook me to the
edge.Then i thought it was just not sane getting touched with the thing that is too small to care about.
It is a basic of our culture and its not worth much discussion so i concluded that it shall go the way it does.
We don't have enough time to think about such things,it's waste.But i realized that it can be looked the way i looked at it.
It is this view because of which "animal rights activists" actually exist.
I am sure all of you,at some point of your life,have felt an extreme fear of death,or must have
run for your life at least once.I just wanted to convey my message that any life,be it ours,be it the beasts',is very precious
and this fact shouldn't be neglected.Well,its just as simple as that.For example,"early in the morning in front of a
slaughterhouse,you see a tied goat and a dog playing together.And in the afternoon,when you return,you see the same dog
eat the remains of the goat's intestines or fat".How'd you feel seeing this?
Wouldn't it tremble you?Isn't this scene an apex of extreme brutality??
I know even human beings hunted for food on course of their evolution,later they started rearing animals for animal
products.Today animal rearing has taken a rather professional,industrial path,i guess.The meat you eat doesn't necessarily
come from a sacrificed animal torso.And it doesn't mean not being a vegetarian makes u a brutal creature.NO.
Its completely fine if u show disagreement to some extent.
You will surely realize that u cannot deny the facts that i wrote.But that's not at all my point.I dont intend to get all of
you emotional and turn vegetarian.No way!!It wouldn't be practical at all.
I just want you to think,at least at some moment about the facts that i am presenting.I want you to look
at it at least once just like i looked at it.I want you to at least feel pity about those animals and understand the
depth of my words,though it may last for few moments.
Its not a topic for argument at all.It kept me bothering and i finally thought writing about it.
I hope everyone has a great time with Dashain.
(The fact that the writer himself is an ovo-vegetarian shouldn't be considered along with the writing)

Comments